Blog background

Saturday, February 5, 2011

"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"

A couple of weeks ago, Bella started a few enrichment classes at a church in town. The original schedule of classes was  geography, creative writing, and a spanish class. They offered a drama class, which I thought would be perfect for her, but unfortunately, she was too young to enroll in it. But God helped us out a little with that. . . 
On the first day of classes, my little Scarlett O'Hara was accidentally put into drama instead of spanish! Shout out to God for the assistance on that one! The only problem was, no one knew it was a mistake, so no one let me know. I was already a little  a lot nervous about her going to the classes, they are in a huge church, and she has to change classrooms. I kept having these visions of going to pick her up from her last class and her not being there because she was wondering the hallways scared and alone, crying for me. Everyone assured me she would be fine. High schoolers were assigned to help the little ones get to their classes for the first few weeks. 
Ok. Great. 
So on the very first day, when classes were over, I excitedly rushed over to her last classroom to get her. The class was still going on, so I peeked into the window, anxious to get a glance at my baby girl in big school. 
I peeked in.
No Bella. 
I stepped back. Took a deep breath. Assured myself that I just overlooked her, and peeked again.
No Bella.
I look again.
Now I am on the verge of full blown freaking out. I shoved all the other moms out of the way of the window and plastered my whole face to it, making sure I could see every inch of the inside of that room. 
My little girl was not in there!
I frantically start telling random people that my 5 YEAR OLD CHILD was supposed to be in there but she isn't, and I have no clue where she is! They all just sort of looked at me like I was nuts. No one, no one at all, offered any assistance! Had I not been in such a state of panic, I probably would have punched a few of these women for just blowing me off. Finally, someone suggested that I look in a room down the hall because there were a couple of small children in there. So, off I sprint down the hall, begging God to please let my baby be in that classroom and not wandering the gargantuan halls of this church, or worse.
As I flung myself through the door of the room, I saw her. Smiling ear to ear. "MOMMY! I'M IN ACTING CLASS! AND I LOVE IT!" are the first words I hear. Quickly I compose myself and try to act like I care, and like I was not just behaving like some sort of lunatic nutcase. "Thats great honey! But  (then glaring at the teacher) why are you in acting class when you are supposed to be in spanish class?!" The teacher explained that the rolls hadn't been passed out yet, so even though she know Bella was too young to be in the class, she wasn't positive where she was supposed to be. Bella told her she was supposed to go to spanish, but asked if she could stay in drama instead. The teacher said that since she was able to read so well, it was completely fine with her, and just let her stay. 
And now my child has been bitten by the acting bug. 
After just her second week in "acting class" she in formed me, "Mommy, one day I am going to move to New York and go to college and be an actress there." 
I almost drove off the road. No you don't honey! New York is dangerous and scary! Not to mention 1067.02 miles away! *I know, I mapquested it*
But what do I say? How do I reply? Do I pretend to be the ever supportive mommy, and say, "That is wonderful honey! If you work hard, you can do anything you want to do!"
Or do I tell her how I really feel? "Honey, if you ever move that far away from Mommy, my heart will break, and then I will die. Literally die, of a broken heart."
Or there is always option number 3: "Sure Sweetheart, Daddy will start applying for jobs in New York right away and I will start packing the house for the big move." 
Because she sure isn't going without me. 
And she's not taking anymore acting classes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bethany...I loved it. I could feel you panicking then the relief. I think acting is her calling. I laughed out loud at your thoughts about her going to New York and that you map quested it. However, I could relate and I do think Rob should start looking for a job up there. Noni

*Princess Mommy* said...

oh my Lord, I thought I was going to have a come-apart on the very first day! Once I found her, I wanted somebody, anybody, to yell at for misplacing my baby! Truthfully though, she was supervised at all times and was never in any danger.
The most maddening part was all the other mothers just looking at me like I crazy for panicking and like I was the one who lost her! Damn judgmental public!
And rest assured, I have already told Rob that if he can't find a job there before she goes, he better be prepared to work 2 jobs here so he can afford to pay for my apartment in New York. I'm telling you, I WILL follow her! I'm crazy like that! lol!!