Blog background

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I've Created a Monster. . . .






help! I was almost transformed into a monster of the worst kind. . . . . .

As many of you know, growing up I ALWAYS wanted to take gymnastics and learn to tumble. (I still do, so if anybody out there knows of anyone who will teach a 30 yr old out of shape mom to do a back handspring, let me know!) But, that dream was never fulfilled bc someone (ah-hem, my dear daddy-love you though) did not think that cheerleading or gymnastics was a "real" sport. No need to go on a gymnast defending rant here guys, I know it IS indeed a real sport. Anyways, I always wanted to do it, so when I found out I was having a daughter, that of course was one of the first dreams I had about her future-sitting in the stands watching my little girl tumbling and cheering for a pee-wee football team; fast forward to the high school varsity squad. Her in her uniform, tumbling across the field as everyone comments on what a talented little tumbler she is.  It was beautiful . . . .I know, I dream big. But I actually did have another dream. . . basically the same as the first one except instead of cheering in high school, she is competing in the olympics-floor  and uneven bars of course. Told you I had at least some big dreams for her :)
Anyways, you can imagine my excitement a few weeks ago when she was FINALLY old enough to start gymnastics class. Really, it felt like a really awesome birthday and she was my best present. In we walked, me proud as a peacock, chest out and head high as I presented my future olympic gold medalist, fully outfitted in her little black "letatard", hair in pig tails Nadia  Comaneci style, and tripping over her own feet in her excitement to get to "dymnastics cwass." It was GREAT!

This week (her 3rd class) was just as good. She was still super excited and so was I. She was eagerly doing anything and everything coach Cindy asked of her, and I was so proud! All "olympic dreams" kidding aside, I really did hope she loved gymnastics. Its a great sport. It teaches poise and self confidence, and keeps a person in really great shape-good no matter what you want to do in life! Plus, it is something I always wanted to do, and admittedly. I selfishly kinda wanted to live vicariously though her. Mostly though, I just wanted her to have a good time, find something she is good at, and gain a little confidence. And then it happened. . . . .just as I am being able to put my olympic dreams for her aside, and settle on her simply having fun, one of the other parents says to me," WOW!! You're daughter is REALLY taking to this stuff! You can see even now that she will be great at it if she keeps it up!" At that moment I could feel myself morphing. I went from, "gee, I just want her to have a good time. Make some new friends. Maybe do this as a hobby" to "Oh My GA! Are you serious?? She could be great? What is the number to legendary gymnastics coach Bella Karolyi? We need to start a training regiment!"
I went from "oh look her her cute, clumsy little front roll!" to "are her toes pointed? did she stick her landing (off the 4in high balance beam)?" I became a crazy fanatical mom!
And as my beaming little Dorothy Hamill came skipping over to me after class, she reminded me just what a reality my dreams were. . . as she tripped over a mat and fell flat on her face. 
Talk about a reality check!
The thought of it now makes me smile. I don't care if my baby grows up to be a world famous gymnast, or even if she doesn't want to cheer (pleeeeease please ppleeeease want to cheer). I just want her to be her, in all of her perfect, imperfect cuteness. I just want her to be happy, and I want to at least give her the opportunity to try and succeed at the things she dreams of doing. No matter what they are.





but don't you think cheerleading looks like a lot of fun??. . . . . or maybe the uneven bars?

1 comment:

Prince Daddy said...

HAHAHAHA I feel you baby! I want our kids to be great at what ever they do!! And i know very well that Gymnastics and Cheerleading are both extremely difficult sports that will only make her more confident and strong enough to beat the crap out of boys that come a hittin on my baby!!! (if she beats them up I won't have too, in turn I get to stay out of jail) I still have aspirations of Zach playing in the MLS so maybe Bella can cheer for his team! If they even have cheerleaders in soccer.... oh well, at least for now we can dream!