Blog background

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Visions of PS3s and Easy Bake Ovens dancing in their heads

Christmas Eve is always one of my favorite times of the whole Christmas season. The kids are always overflowing with excitement, and you just can't help feeling it right along with them! This year was especially great because Bella was big enough to really "get" what was going to happen when she woke up Christmas morning. She literally could not contain herself. Experiencing her excitement was the most wonderfully hilarious thing ever. I hope desperately that she never loses her Christmas spirit. Rob and I joked that she is going to be the Crazy Christmas Sweater Lady when she grows up. You know the one-she has the sweater with jingle bells and music, and the light up earrings that look like Christmas lights for your house. It's gonna be her. And you know what, we are both o.k. with that. . . I think. 

Every Christmas Eve, we spend the evening with Rob's family, eating, opening presents, and seeing relatives we only get to see at Christmas. It's always a lot of fun! Then we head home to begin our own family's traditions: opening a present and making cookies for Santa. Like I said, this year Bella is really aware of the things to come and the things that have been in the past.  Even more so than we realized. . .
As we were driving home from Rob's family's Christmas, the conversation in our car went something like this,
me: Kids, when we get home I need to to go in Bella's room and play for just a minute.
Bella: Why?. . . . Do you still need to wrap our Christmas jammies?
What?! She wasn't supposed to know. Sure Zach does. But he is 12! She's only 5! How does she even remember what we get every year?!
Rob and I could not contain our laughter! It's true that they do get Christmas jammies as their gift to open each year on Christmas Eve, but we had no idea that she remembered! Obviously, we were wrong! She informed me next, "Well, you give us jammies every year Mommy!" 
I love that they know, and even though they know, I love that they are both still so excited and pretend to be surprised for me :)

 look at that happiness! It doesn't even matter that they know what's in those presents!
I love that even though he's almost 13, Zach still loves getting his Christmas jammies!
 I love that she gets so excited over the littlest things. 
 this makes my heart so happy!

 and of course they have to be silly. They wouldn't be our kids if they weren't!

 Sweet baby had to leave a note for Santa
 Making Santa's cookies. We were lucky there was any cookie dough left after Daddy got ahold of it!


Then off to bed. Visions of PS3s (or video game 3s as Bella calls it) and Easy Bake Ovens dancing in
their heads! 

No comments: