Blog background

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Adventures in Wonderland

Thursday night, after we had finished our Thanksgiving extravaganzas, we dropped the kiddos off at Nana's for a sleepover, and set out on what is quite possibly the craziest thing we have ever done. You see, Friday was of course, Black Friday, and Target was having a ridiculous sale on televisions. Rob, being the gadget/tv/movie kind of guy that he is, spotted this amazing deal immediately upon perusing through the Black Friday ads. And then immediately decided that we must own one. What did this mean? This meant that we, Rob and I, had to be at the front of the line when Target opened at 4a.m. Friday morning. This would not have been a big deal, EXCEPT for the fact that the temperature Thursday night was going to be the coldest we had had all year! AND the weather men were calling for "wintery mix"!
Now, I am all for an adventure, especially with Rob, but sitting out in the freezing cold rain is pushing it. Actually, it's beyond pushing it; it's too much. I'm not doing it.
Rob was much more dedicated to the mission. He REALLY wanted this tv! So at 10p.m we head over to Target to begin the stake out. It was FREEZING. And raining. And sleeting. I was not getting out of the car. But Rob bundled up and headed out. What a man!


see that blue and white umbrella at the end of the line? That's Rob. (Pic taken by me from the warm, coziness of our truck)

After about 30 minutes, the people in line realized that they could get up under the overhang above the front doors and get out of the rain. Once Rob was there, I felt sorry for him sitting out in the cold darkness all alone. So I joined him. Sitting out in the cold for 6 hours for a tv really wasn't all that bad. . .until that last hour.


That's us at 3am. 5 hours down, 1 to go!

Something happened. It got colder and time began to creep. My feet were so cold I really wanted to cry. Rob kept telling me to go back to the car, but I didn't want to leave him all alone. Plus, he was toughing it out, I could too. (And truthfully, it was sort of a personal challenge/mission not to quit right at the end. I'm weird like that.)
We thought they were going to be giving out tickets, but at the last minute, we found out they weren't-it was every man for himself. Rob and I decided that our plan of attack would be for him to make a mad dash for the tv as soon as the doors opened, I would get the cart and join him asap. I kind of wanted in on the mad dash, but Rob is bigger. And stronger. And not pregnant. Oh well, there is no "I" in team.
By the time I got back there with the cart, Rob already had the tv and was off to the side guarding it like it was one of his children. He rocks.
So, needless to say, our night was a success. We have our new tv in our bedroom and love it. Although, that night is nothing I ever want to do again, it really was kind of fun, and it will make a great story for our kids in the future. . . .No kids, we never waited in line all night for that toy you really wanted for Christmas, but we did do it for our tv! HA!!!
*for the record, we get "the toy" our kids want LONG before Black Friday, even if we have to pay more for it, so there is no need to stand outside all night and fight crazy people in hopes of getting our hands on whatever it is. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha. sounds like a fun adventure. I am glad that you have the tv.. noni