Blog background

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Princess Update

*adorable, crazy smart, great sense of humor UNTIL it comes to laughing at herself. Super sensitive. Bit of a drama queen. Silly with Mommy and Daddy, usually quiet around others. Extremely well behaved where ever we go. Becoming more and more of a picky eater. Introspective. Adorable little lisp. And just a little bit weird :)

height: 42"
weight: 37 lbs.
shirt: 5T (barely)
Pants 5T (again, barely. She still fits into an 18 month in her waist, but needs 5T for her long leggies)
Shoes: 9.5

loves:
*Lovie. Forever and Always. I asked her the other day if she was going to give Lovie to her little girl one day, after reminding me AGAIN that she is NOT going to grow a baby in her tummy, she is going to get one from the baby store, she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "NO! Lovie is MINE!"
*Dresses. Dresses. Dresses. Period. The end. Dresses.
*the color pink.
Pink Dress? DOUBLE BONUS! She has recently informed me that she wants me to paint her room pink and get pink "covers for her bed" and a pink rug for her floor. (little overload maybe?)
*Drawing.
Morning, noon, night. In the dark. In the light.
It doesn't matter. The child LIVES at her whiteboard. LIVES. As in, sometimes I relish the hours, yes HOURS, of silence it provides, other times I start to get a little concerned that she has no interest in doing anything else in the whole wide world..
When she can't be at her whiteboard, such as in the car, she has her "notebook". This is any spiral notebook with enough blank space on a page for drawing. We have about 40 of them.
Seriously, drawing is all the kid does.
When I force her to take a small, begrudged break from the whiteboard, like to eat or go to the bathroom, she likes to play with her doll house. Briefly. Until I say she can draw again. Are you starting to understand??
Lately, something new has developed, with each drawing comes a song, long and detailed about the picture she is drawing AS she draws it. I've tried and tried to catch it on video, but she refuses to let me.
*her imaginary friends.
Jacob, Alice, ET, Destiny, and Alexandra are just as much a part of our family as Beau and Lily.
*Beau and Lily.
*playing on the computer.
Nick Jr. and Starfall are 2 of her favorites.
*cities.
She loves them. The big buildings. The bustling atmosphere. The noise. The lights. She loves it all.
*Barbie.
I can't wait for this phase to pass.
*Princesses
*having her picture taken.
Good thing since I'm her mom!
*tulips
*Ballet
Mostly just making up her own in the living room.
*the #8. It's her favorite #. When we first started math she could not write a nice 8 to save her life, but quite unlike her, she didn't give up, and now writes them like a #8 writing professional!
*snuggling and having her arms and legs rubbed. (Just like Mommy. Poor Daddy. )
*broccoli and cheese
*cheeseburgers with NO CHEESE. But not hamburgers!
*grilled cheese
*classical music
Suites from the Nutcracker are her favorites
*being at home.
She comes by this naturally. Like me, she is a homebody.
When we CAN get her out of the house, she loves
*going to the movies
*the Children's Museum
*THE ORPHEUM. Musicals. Ballets. It doesn't matter. It's wonderful and magical to her. I love that.
*the book Today I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis.

dislikes:
*the colors black and brown. They "are not beautiful". I happen to disagree.
*pants in any form: long pants, capris, shorts. If it's not a dress, she doesn't like it.
*not being able to draw. It's her own personal version of hell.
*the dark. It scares her. A Lot.
*having to go anywhere in the house alone, without Beau and Lily at her side. Something about their company makes her super brave and able to conquer anything. Even the dark.
*anything remotely scary. Even if it's funny, but a little scary, she does not like it and will fret over it at bedtime.
*anything that is not "beautiful". This mainly means things that are not pretty colors, sparkly, or uber girly.
*dips of any kind-no Ketchup, no ranch, no nothing.
*the thought of actually having a baby. Growing it in her belly, delivering it. According to her, none of that is ever going to go on inside of her body! She is getting her future children from the baby store.

Current favorite baby names:
Girl: Lay-lo. Don't ask where this came from. I have no idea. All I know is that she was seriously ticked off when we told her we weren't naming the new baby Lay-lo.
Boy: Troy Bolton. From High School Musical the movie. Kill me please.
BUT she is not naming HER baby boy this bc she is not having any boys. Only girls. She wants me to help her make sure she only gets girls at the baby store when we go one day.

Currently learning in School:
-addition.basic $$ counting. Telling time to the hour, half, hour, and quarter hour. Counting by 2s,5s,10s. Bless her heart. She inherited Mommy and Daddy's "gift" of math. Poor darling. At least in real life, basic math is all you really HAVE to know. Maybe by 3rd grade we will have mastered addition.
-reading. Not really doing a structured phonics/language arts curriculum. Just doing a lot of reading together. Her ability here never ceases to amaze me. As a book lover, it makes me so proud every time she reads me a story or new word. Daddy and I are constantly surprised at the words she can read. Each night as she reads us her bedtime story (yes, she does that now. It's a little sad) there is always a word we think she will stumble on, but more often than not, she just reads right along without any hesitation. We get prouder and prouder every time.
-State capitals
-science. this year we are learning about our bodies. The skeletal system. Our heart. Nerves. Veins and Arteries. The senses. etc. We are covering each topic lightly, and will get more in depth next year. I think we might do a little study on the planet Saturn soon though. It's her favorite planet. . .because it's the prettiest. Love that girl.
Sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down and not get caught up in the whole "are we learning enough" guilt trip. She IS only in Kindergarten. There are going to be many, many more years to learn the essentials, and she will have the rest of her life to learn anything else she wants. Maybe we won't be adding double digits or know every bone in the skeletal system by the end of the year. But we will have learned a lot, laughed a lot, snuggled every day, and spent immeasurable amounts of quality time together. And those things are more important than anything else.

Funny things she says and some she has outgrown :(:
"Accordion to" instead of according to
she doesn't call band-aids "boo-boos" anymore :(
"Praptice" instead of practice
When she sings Mama Mia's "It's a Rich Man's World" she says, "It's a Rich Man's Squirrel"
"Strawberrian Orchestra" instead of Trans-Siberian Orchestra
"As you insist" instead of "if you insist". The mere fact that she says anything resembling "if you insist" is funny to me.
Now she just asks for Lucky Charms instead of "Delicious Yucky Charms." This was one of my most favorites. I'm super sad to see it go.
For the longest time, she'd ask for a drink of "fresh, cool water before bed. now she just asks for a drink. Boo.

This list is constantly growing as I think of more.

3 comments:

hughesfamily said...

I want a Kindergartner!! So cute! Also, should I be concerned that I don't know the state capitals? AND, what on earth did I do wrong? How do I get an "extremely well behaved" child?!?!?

Mommy of THREE little MONKEYS said...

this post was AWESOME! (see dont you like blogging much more than FB?!?)

and you hit the nail on the head.......i guess thats because you are her mommy. But that is such an awesome way to document what is going on with her........GREAT JOB!!!

*Princess Mommy* said...

Nicole, This year has been so fun, bc there is a lot of learning happening, AND we are having so much fun together! And no, you shouldn't be concerned-I'm learning them along with Bella! lol!!
As far as the whole "extremely well-behaved part-it sure wasn't due to my awesome parenting skills!! I think god had a little mercy on me and knew I'd probably go insane with anything else. I'm not the most patient person ever (massive understatement there!).

Michele, blogging is WAY better than facebook :)
thanks for the encouragement! I hope to one day have this whole thing published for her as sort of a continuation of her baby book. Hope she likes it as much then as she does now! Right now her self-absorbed little self loves reading about all of her cuteness!