Blog background

Friday, February 15, 2008

From Little Boy to Little Man



It seems like yesterday that I met him. He walked into the classroom, and I was instantly in love. Shy and quiet, not so tall, but dark, and stunningly handsome. . . He was two years old.
I remember the day that my future son walked into my classroom. I was a pre-school teacher and he had just graduated into my class. He was my favorite from the start. The other kids didn't even have a chance.
Who knew that that chubby cheeked little boy would bring such monumental change to my life.
Fast Forward a year.
I get the honor of becoming his "other" mom. I remember so clearly those round little cheeks and dark brown eyes looking at me as I walked down the isle towards his Daddy. A smile so big on his face that it makes me smile now to think about it.
Through the years, he has grown and changed so much, and so has our family. We've bought new homes and cars, gotten new pets, gone on adventures, and even added a beautiful little girl to our clan. And at the heart of it all, I know I owe it all to Zach.
When people ask me if I feel differently for him than I do for Bella, since
technically she is my first child, I always answer honestly. The answer is yes, I do. But don't we all love our kids in different ways, ways that are uniquely their own? Don't we all have special and unique relationships with each of our individual children? Different isn't bad! If I had another child, I would love it differently that I do Zach and Bella.
I love Zach for the child that he is, kind and wonderful. I love Zach for giving me the wonderfully exceptional life and family that I have today. Without him, my life would not be what it is. I would have never met Rob or had Bella. We have always told Zach that it is because of how wonderful he is, that we are what we are. I love him because he is my first child, my first, and likely only, son. I love him for his silliness. I love him for his joy. I love him for his willingness to try anything-from sushi to soccer. I love him simply because he is him.
And now my little boy has grown into a little man. He's 10! While I certainly miss that baby face, I am so proud of the young man he has become. He is kind and well mannered. Always polite. He would never make fun of another, his heart is too big. He's not afraid to have friends that are girls. Some of his best friends are. He wears pink; he believes in being his own person no matter what. But I think the thing I am most proud of is the kind of big brother he is. The love he shows his sister amazes me every single day. He will play Barbie, or tea party, or dress up, or school. He will help her get dressed or go potty. He teaches her her letters. He is amazing. No matter how mean she is to him, and as a 2 year old girl she can be MEAN, he is always patient. He takes his job as a big brother very seriously. He knows that more than anyone else in the world, she looks to him as her example, and he has been the best so far.  Watching him with his little sister, I know that he is going to be a wonderful daddy. And that makes me the proudest mommy alive.
So my little boy is growing up. Yes, it makes me sad. But seeing the young man he is becoming makes me proud to be his mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your blog on a daily basis, but I am usually too lazy to comment.
This was so sweet! Sweet is really an understatement. Reading this post on my baby boys 2nd birthday was a little overwhelming. I just can't imagine...and I know in a blink of an eye he will be 10.
Zachary is a blessing. I remember the first day I met him and I couldn't believe how good he was with the kids. You and Rob are definitely doing something right. Love all of you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Melissa

nana said...

As you can imagine, this brought back a flood of memories for me as well. It seems like only yesterday (sounds like a clilche) but so true.I remember dropping him off in the morning at day care and the day you and Rob met.... I am so filled with emotion remembering all this. I am so happy life turned out the way it did. You all the perfect family... I love you Nana.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your words! You have a gift for writing. I am so glad that you are happy and it shows. Some people search for that their entire lives and never find it. Bella and your whole family is absolutely adorable! Watching you grow from a wee little sprout with crazy curly hair and sucking on a ice freeze pop into a beautiful amazing woman, wife and mother...I must say that I am proud of you!!! I am glad that you and Jen found each other again.
Love ya, Cathy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You're a wonderful writer Bethany! Daniel is too - it must run in the family!!! I really loved the post on Zach's birthday - I had just talked with my mom about growing up and reading what you wrote made me tear up!! :-)

Hope you're all doing well & miss you!
Ashley

Anonymous said...

If it hadn't been for Zach, you wouldn't have talked to me! HA! I happened to move in across the street with a 3 year old son. Who knew Zach would be my other kid! Thank you Zach for bringing me one of my bestest friends...
MUAH!!!