Blog background

Friday, February 22, 2008

Peace Out Man. And Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair.

Ok so about a month ago, something really strange happened. I suddenly became aware, and every concerned, about the ingredients in my children's shampoo.  The stuff could kill you. Really. Do a little research. Well that bled over into concern about MY shampoo, then our body wash, and lotion, toothpaste, hand soap. . . .AHHHH!!! With all these toxins in our products how are we all not already dead!?!?!? So I became a woman on a mission-to rid our home of any unnecessary potential poisons/chemicals. I became a mad scientist, researching ingredients and hunting for the best products to use. It was a frustrating time. I came to realize that even though we live in fairly large city, we are about as far from progressive as one can be. Produce stores laughed at me when I asked if they sold organic foods. Meat markets had no idea what I was talking about. Even the local farmer's market wished me luck in finding organic produce around here! I was stunned! Appalled. And mad. Now let me say that we DO have an organic grocery store within an hours drive of us. But Christ, we'd have to refinance the house just to be able to afford their stuff! Thats the part that makes me mad-why in the world does it cost SOOOO much more to keep your family healthy??!
Eventually though, I nailed down a plan of action and got going. I replaced all of our bath products, cleaning products, and even our dog's food with things made only from organic, wholesome ingredients. Literally EVERYTHING. I  began buying organic only dairy products, fruits, veggies, and meats. It was like an out of control hippie tornado was sweeping through our home! Madness. But we are not stopping there, we are also beginning to recycle! But, the icing on my little beatnik cake, is that this year, we are going to grow our own organic garden! (thanks Dad).
 What?!?!?
 YES!
 We are going to grow our own veggies (and maybe even some fruits), and we are going to do it chemical free!
Good God, what is happening to me! The next thing you know I will be moving my family into a solar powered  house in the mountains made solely from recycled materials and voting for Hillary! AHHHHHH!!! Somebody stop me!!!
(for the record that was a gross overstatement)
BUT WAIT, THERE"S MORE!!
We are also going to begin a small "petting farm" on my dad's land with Nigerian Dwarf goats and a pig, so that the kids can learn about caring for other creatures and have the opportunity to have a wonderfully new, flower-child type of experience.  I'm turning my children into little tree-huggers too! Quick, somebody call DHS!! Rob wants to know when I'm going to buy a loom and begin making our own clothes.
Honestly though, you would think that I am teaching my children some sort of racist propaganda judging by the responses I've gotten from some people! "A little cancer causing chemicals never hurt anybody!" Oh I'm sorry, "a little"?? Well, I actually like my children, so I'm going to go with none-thanks! You'd think people would at least be supportive, even if this wasn't they way to go for their family. After all, I am simply doing my best to keep my kids safe and healthy. I'm doing my best to teach them to love and respect not only their bodies but also the world they live in. And we as a family, are doing our best to try and improve upon the world that ALL of our children will be left in-even those of you who could care less about trees, or chemicals, or water quality.  What is wrong with loving the world that God so graciously created for us!?! I guess its a good thing most people are teaching their children not to value tress, fresh air, or clean water because the way things are going, one day soon, kids won't have any big beautiful trees to play under. And all of their drinking water will come from bottles because tap water won't be safe to drink. Personally, I want my grandkids to know what a real oak tree looks like. Not have to look one up in a book. I want them to have the joy of drinking from the water hose on a hot summer day (all the while, getting soaked while trying their best to make it look like an accident)and not worry about dropping dead on the spot from all the chemicals. I want my grandkids to be able to play in parks and lakes that are clean and safe. I want my children to be able to pick up a piece of produce and not have to worry about scrubbing all the deadly chemicals off before they eat it. I don't want their water to be rationed or their kids to hit puberty at 8 because of all the chemicals added to their foods. 
It seems that more and more people are longing for simpler times, yet few of us are willing to take the extra step to help us all return to those times. Lets go back to the day of right is right, wrong is wrong, and food is safe to eat right off the vine.
All that being said, I have to say I am proud of our family and the steps we are taking. Admittedly, we are not nearly as Earthy as some people, and their are many more things we can do. But for now, we are doing the best we can in this moment, and I am proud of that.
Now I just need to think up our new hippie names . . . . 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A garden! Cool! Yea, I plan on cleaning out our chemicals when we get the money! It's so dang expensive to eat food with less stuff done to it! It doesn't make sense! Right on sister!
I think your name should be Constance MoonBeam..
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prince Daddy said...

Oh don't worry Whisping Willow, I have the family's Birkenstocks and Tie dyed shirts on order they should be here in a month or so as I ordered them from the "Raging Hippy" shop in San Fran. All articles will be hand made from Hemp and flower petals and will be delivered by a band of know it all college kids driving cross country in a VW bus on their way to Washington DC to "Change the World through music." as soon as it gets here I'll notify you. I know that Lula Moon Rover and Evening Night Shade will be happy to have theirs stuff too! This is Rory Sun Beam signing out!

Anonymous said...

From one hippie chick to another: You go girl! In honor of the Grateful Dead, I will now be refering to you as "Sugar Magnolia" and Rob as "Sunshine Daydream". The kids will be known as " Drums" and " Space" Just let me know when you want me to contact Al Gore about building your new solar powered house! Ok, just kidding there.. kind of.

Melissa "Daisy Chain "

D Sal said...

haha this post made me laugh but I also think it is great what yall are doing... I guess that it is not surprising that I am one person in our family that thinks its awesome yall are doing the "natural organic" stuff! we could have an interesting conversation about this and people's responses :)

-uncle reinfield

Anonymous said...

Haha Bethany - you would absolutely LOVE it out here where I am (the Oakland of the west!, and by the way Daniel and I just got a picture with the sign out here just like the one in Oakland, TN - wish I could post it on here for you!) But there are PLENTY of organic stores around here and many more people who are "green." I've recycled more in this year than I think I ever have! But I also think it's great what you are doing and you're absolutely right that though most of us would agree we'd like to return to simpler times, few people actually make the effort. I can't wait to see the garden and the new animals!!!