Blog background

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Not So Good Will

Today, I decide to try and do the whole bargain mommy thing, so I loaded up the kiddos and set out for the friendly neighborhood Good Will store. By neighborhood, I mean the closest one to my neighborhood, 30 minutes away. 
I have friends that shop there religiously and their kids' clothes are always adorable, so I thought maybe I should give it a try. 
Never again.
Before I start my rant about why I will not ever Good Will shop again, let me first say this:
I am not a brand name snob. I do not care where clothes from or how much they cost as long as they are cute and of decent quality. 
I do not get pleasure from paying as much as I can for any article of clothing. I take pride in finding bargains.
I am not a snob. Mostly.
My experience today was like a reject clothing nightmare.
I walk in, and was at first overwhelmed by the sheer volume of clothing. Next I was almost overcome with panic as I noticed that not only were there a million items of clothing to pa ruse through, none of them were in any particular order. Now, for those of you close to me, you know that disarray makes me ill. In my life everything must have its own place. My home may not be spotless, but it is organized. Chop. Chop. Chop. Thats how I like it. Thats how it must be or I have little panic attacks. I'm verging on OCD.
Good Will was a mistake.
I am walking around like a foreigner in a daze, attempting to find the toddler section. I ask the first employee I see for directions, and she kindly directs me "over there." Let's clarify. Over there consists of about 47 racks of clothing containing anything and everything from infant to pre-teen clothes for boys and girls. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!??? This place was in serious need of my organizational talents. 
I began my walk "over there" and after about 3 or 4 passes down the isles, was done. My brain could not handle it. 
Not to mention the fact that everything I looked at looked like it had been dug out of some moth-ball laden box in an attic from 1982. I have never seen so many shoulder pads or balloon suits in my life!! EWWWW!
AND not to mention that the place was filthy. The floors, the racks, really everything but the clothes. But shopping amongst all that filth really made me feel like the clothes were filthy too. I couldn't help it! I tried to get past it; I told myself it was fine, anything I bought would be washed anyways once we got home. But I couldn't do it. Any shopping experience that makes me yearn for a shower afterwards is just not for me. I guess I will just stick to the sale racks at the regular stores from now on, and be forced to revel in all of my friends amazing Good Will finds. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should come to mine. It is really clean and pretty organized by size so it's not to bad to shop. It is less than a year old though so that may be why it is sparkly! I can see you having a panic attack at the one in Bartlett!

melissa