Blog background

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

We Wish to Welcome You to Munchkin Land!




Last night was so scary! We spent the entire evening glued to the tv watching the weather. One after another, tornado warnings were issued. It was insanity! Before Rob got home, I was running around the house trying to secure/waterproof important items (such as wedding pictures, our will, etc) and trying to gather necessities. I had the computer in the hall/storm closet (we have literally over 24,000 pictures stored on it) and wedding pictures, wills, baby pics, etc. in ziplocks. I had the hall closet cleaned out completely just in case we all had to cram into it, which we did, later.
I am also frantically running around the house trying to gather things we MIGHT need should an F5 obliterate our home. Of course there were the obvious things: water and non-perishable food, a flash light, etc. But I was an eagle scout in my previous life. Our safety pack not only contained enough food and water to sustain us through at least a week of complete isolation, but it also contained: crayons and paper (wouldn't want the kids to get restless), 2 ipods, a Psp with movies and games, 2 cameras (in case one broke) and their extra batteries, video camera (to document the impending destruction), small princess toys (for you know who), a ziploc bag with a change of clothes for both my kids, extra socks for all (don't laugh-ask the military, dry socks are important), almonds and other high protein snacks (if we were cut off from all civilization and had to walk to the nearest city we were going to need our energy), Bella's carrier (again, if we had to walk any distance I needed to be able to carry her), and sunscreen (the sun can be a dangerous enemy even in winter). All in a convienient, easy carry backpack. Our safety pack was ready. About the only thing I didn't have was one of those insta-inflatable life boats in case there was flooding, but I'm working on that. Laugh all you want, but when we have a flood and you are trapped on your roof hoping for a helicoptor, don't be asking to get in my boat. I am going to paddle right on by those of you that laughed at me, asking, "So who's laughing now??!"
I can't help it. I'm super paranoid, and as a result, super prepared. Usually for nothing. Which is why everyone, and I mean everyone, teases me about the safety pack.
Of course, no tornado came near our house (but quite a few caused terrible damage not too far from us). Nothing really happened near us except for really bad thunderstorms all night. Which is great! Every now and then though, I kinda wish God would help me out a little and at least make the wind howl or something. Maybe then Rob wouldn't grudgingly roll his eyes everytime I order the family to pack in to our ity bity hall closet like sardines. Seriously, getting us all into that closet is just like playing a game of JENGA. Layered one on top of another, and every leg, arm, and head has to be postioned exactly right or we are all going over.
But back on the "Rob thinks I'm insanely paranoid" topic, he really does think I'm crazy when it comes to "storm preparedness". I just tend to take the weather guy seriously when he says ,"If you are in ____ area, take cover immediately!" I don't feel the need to ask questions. I get in the freaking closet, and I take my kids with me! Rob is so sure that nothing is ever going to happen, that usually, while the kids and I are hiding away, he is out in the front yard looking for funel clouds. All I have to say about that is, when a funnel cloud does appear right above your head, don't come banging on my closet door! My paranoid self and the kids are all out of room, mister! And if by some great miracle you aren't blown away to munchkin land, don't be asking for any of my safety pack supplies either! I was the crazy one remember??

1 comment:

melissa said...

OMG your killing me! Seriously, I can totally see your backpack full of " stuff "! Keep typing girl, you make me smile everyday :)BTW, I totally believe you when you say you would leave my ass in the water and paddle bye but i love ya anyway!