Blog background

Friday, February 1, 2008

What's in a Name?

"I'm not Bella. I'm Princess _________."(insert Princess of your choice here. Don't worry, I'm sure she has been that Princess). "You're not Mommy. You're Princess _______."(you know what to do) If I had a penny for every time I've heard that I'd be a rich woman.
It really makes me question all the time and thought I put into naming my child. All the nights I would lie there trying to think of any possible nick-names people might give her, or mean rhyming things kids might call her. We all remember the "Maria Diarrhea" or "Max the Maxi Pad" from elementary school. I even have a friend who named her daughter Micah Rae, who is now called "Microwave." I have nothing against Maria, Max, or Micah personally, but kids are cruel. They need no help finding ammunition when comes to making fun of others. So when it came to naming my own, I really put a lot of love into it.
And for what?
To be told "I'm not Bella, no matter how many sleepless nights you spent thinking of that beautiful name for me, I am Princess Cinderella (or Belle, or Sleeping Beauty). And you are not Mommy, no matter how many sleepless nights you spent hoping and praying for the day you would get that blessed title, you are Princess Pocahontas." HUH???
Other than being forbidden by my daughter to call her a name I love and adore, what's up with me always having to be Pocahontas??? I don't like that name! And is she even a real Princess? If I can't be mommy, the least she do is let me be a good one.
Occasionally, she does give the the honor of calling her Princess Bella and I get to be Princess Mommy. But those days are few and far between.
So all of you expecting mommies out there-don't stress over what you name your baby. They'll probably end up wanting to be called Godzilla anyway.

1 comment:

Aunt Scary said...

Hahaha okay, one of my favorite posts ever, Princess Pocahontas! I will NEVER forget those days! One day I had Princess Cinderella as a niece...the next Princess Anastasia! It was always an adventure! ;)